No matter how long you live in the Phoenix area, nobody is going to hear you say how cool it is when summer hits! Air conditioners are pretty much a necessity. What happens, however, if you have an old and inefficient unit and you’re not looking to replace your air conditioner? With a few adjustments listed below, you can at least be comfortable enough to get through the hot days.
Schedule Air Conditioning Maintenance
The first thing you need to do is make sure the little air conditioner you do have is in the best shape possible. Before the heat hits full force, have your air conditioner inspected to make sure the motor is running smoothly and all the vents are free of dust and other debris. Make sure your filter is clean and replace it if necessary. Lastly, check to make sure the air conditioner isn’t leaking. Once you are sure it is in optimal working condition, it is time to move onto environmental.
Small Changes to Help You Keep Cool
Now it is time to look around your home and think about little changes that can make a big difference.
- Using a fan in addition to your air conditioner will help circulate the cool air better. If you have a ceiling fan, you are in luck as it will help circulate air from the center of the room. Don’t despair, however, because a portable fan can work just as well.
- If possible, put your air conditioner in a window that has a great deal of shade. This will give you the benefit of allowing it to draw in air that can be as much as ten degrees cooler than air from a sunny location.
- Make sure all the windows and doors are fully insulated. This will prevent hot air from coming in and cool air from seeping out. Many newer windows are already double-insulated, so installing them will help throughout the year.
- Keep window blinds down or invest in thermal curtains. The sun coming through a window pane can heat the room up very quickly.
- Close off any rooms you won’t be using. If possible, locate the air conditioner in the area you will be spending most of your daytime hours and try to anticipate as many needs as possible so you don’t need to keep opening any doors shutting the cool air in.
- Keep light and electronic use to a minimum as they can create immense heat when in use.
More Tips To Stay Cool
In Arizona, some days can reach 100 degrees! When this happens, you may need to take a few extra steps to help you stay cool. Some more tricks include:
- Opt for a cool shower if the heat gets too much and air dry rather than towel off. As you dry, your body will cool.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Think salads and crock pot meals instead of using your stove.
- Consider soaking a sheet in cold water and hanging it over the doorway to the room. As it dries, the cool air will cause the water to evaporate into the air, cooling it.
- Save your most strenuous activities for early morning or late evening hours, when the temperature is at its lowest
Need More Help Staying Cool?
With a little innovation, you will find yourself remaining comfortable enough to make it through the heat, even with an old air conditioner. However, sometimes, it may not be enough to handle the hot summers in the Phoenix area. At Shamrock Heating & Cooling, we have an extensive line of air conditioners that are specifically built for Arizona heat. We have a variety of units that range in efficiency, size, and price so you can get a cooling unit that fits your budget and needs.
Ready to ditch the fans and stay cool and comfortable in your home? Call Shamrock Heating & Cooling today for air conditioner replacement!